Saturday, June 27, 2009

Correspondence between Generals Grant and Beauregard

LETTER FROM GEN. BEAUREGARD

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE MISS.,
MONTEREY, April 8

SIR At the close of the conflict of yesterday, my troops being exhausted by the extraordinary length of time during which they were engaged with yours on that and the preceding day, and it being apparent that you had received and were still receiving re-enforcements, I felt it my duty to withdraw my troops from the immediate scene of conflict.

Under these circumstances, in accordance with usages of war, I shall transmit this under a flag of truce, to ask permission to send a mounted party to the battle-field of Shiloh for the purpose of giving decent interment to my dead.

Certain gentlemen wishing to avail themselves of this opportunity to remove the remains of their sons and friends, I must request for them the privilege of accompanying the burial party, and in this connection I deem it proper to say I am asking only what I have extended to your own countrymen under similar circumstances.

Respectfully, General, your obedient servant,

P. G. T. BEAUREGARD,
General, Commanding.


GENERAL GRANT’S REPLY

HEADQUARTERS ARMY IN THE FIELD,
Pittsburg, April 9.

Gen. P. G. T. Beauregard, Commanding Confederate Army of the Mississippi, Monterey, Tenn.

Your dispatch of yesterday is just received. Owing to the warmth of the weather I deemed it advisable to have all the dead of both parties buried immediately. Heavy details were made for this purpose, and now it is accomplished.

There cannot, therefore, be any necessity of admitting within our lines the parties you desire to send on the grounds asked.

I shall always be glad to extend any courtesy consistent with duty, and especially so when dictated by humanity.

I am, General, respectfully, your obedient servant,

U.S. GRANT,
Maj. Gen. Commanding.

– Published in The Athens Messenger, Athens, Ohio, Thursday Morning, April 24, 1862

No comments: