Friday, September 11, 2009

Wendell Phillips

Mr. Phillips has returned to Boston, and made a speech at Tremont Temple in that City. We quote a passage from the Boston Post’s report of his remarks:

Mr. Phillips said, the Democratic party rears its head. It gave me the benefit of an incessant advertisement. I owe audiences of thousands and ten of thousands to the fact that a fortnight before I approached a city, the Democratic press loaded its columns with advertisements for me. Cincinnati heralded me the most excellent advertisements, and sent me sealed as her apostle to the banks of the Mississippi. – {Laughter.} It was a Democratic endorsement that Cincinnati gave me. {Applause.} It opened my way to the hearts of the prairies so quickly that I was almost afraid men would suspect me of collusion.

– Published in The Burlington Weekly Hawk-Eye, Burlington, Iowa, Saturday, April 26, 1862, p. 2

No comments: