Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Emancipation in the District

A letter from Washington says:

The House committee of the District of Columbia have already agreed to report this bill in all its features, unless the colonization amendment, which was put on in the Senate yesterday, be accepted. The bill will pass the House and Mr. Lincoln will sign it. Although many of our slave owners are taking their slaves out of the city into Maryland, there are some who will welcome the passage of the bill. I saw one yesterday who owns eleven slaves. “I am waiting for the bill to pass,” he said, “that the lot my be taken off my hands. I would a great deal rather get my $300 per slave and have them go free than to take my chances of a higher sum and the negroes still remain slaves.”

– Published in The Davenport Daily Gazette, Davenport, Iowa, Monday Morning, April 14, 1862, p. 2

No comments: