Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Letter from Gen. Buckner to the Louisville Journal


We find the following in the Louisville Journal of Saturday:

To the Editors of the Louisville Journal:

GENTLEMEN:– Amongst other luxuries of which I have been deprived since my imprisonment, is the pleasure of perusing those chaste and refreshing notices, with which, for some time past, your paper has honored me; and although in my progress through the North I have met with many attempts on the part of the press at an imitation of your peculiarly felicitous style of misrepresentation I have found none to equal the original.  I am therefore under the necessity of applying to the fountain head.  In enclose two dollars, for which please send me your country daily, to the following address:

GEN. S. B. BUCKNER
Care of Col. J. Dimick,
Fort Warren, Mass.

P. S. Since writing the above, our friend Col. R. W. Hanson, has reached this celebrated resort, and desires me to add that the present of a demijohn of whisky which he learns you have promised him would never be more acceptable than at this present time – the locality and the latitude; as well as the sentiments of our neighbors up the harbor, holding out most tempting inducements to cultivate a taste for that most delightful beverage.  As a matter of caution, however, he urges me to add that he hopes, if the liquor be good quality, you will not venture to taste it, as he might thereby incur much risk in losing it altogether:– a privation which, however agreeable to yourself, would be attended with serious inconvenience to himself during the prevalence of the prevailing “nor’easters.”

S. B. B.

– Published in The Burlington Weekly Hawk-Eye, Burlington, Iowa, Saturday, March 22, 1862, p. 3

No comments: