JAMES C. PAINTER, proprietor of the flour-mills at Osceola, is a native of England, born in Berks County. He came to America when quite young, locating in the State of Illinois. He began learning the miller’s trade in Fulton County, Illinois, finishing his trade at Peoria. He enlisted in the Union Army in 1862 in Company F, Fifty-seventh Illinois Infantry to serve three months. At the expiration of his term of service he reenlisted in the Ninth Iowa Cavalry, in which he served till June 30, 1863. Mr. Painter is a thorough, practical miller, and has been connected with the milling business since 1861. He came to Clarke County, Iowa, in 1868, and for about ten months worked for Raymond & Kelley, proprietors of the City Mills, at Osceola. He then went to Union County, Iowa, becoming a partner in the Afton Mills, being associated with the Grant Brothers, under the firm name of Grant, Painter & Grant. About five years later he disposed of his interest in the Afton Mills and returned to Osceola, Clarke County, forming a partnership with D. R. Raymond, which continued until June, 1881, when he sold his interest to his partner, and in October of the same year built his present mills, which are the principal flouring mills in the county. It is run by the roller process and turn out about forty barrels in twenty-four hours.
SOURCE: Biographical and Historical Record of Clarke County, Iowa, Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1886 p. 390