WILLIAM E. MORROW, dealer in agricultural implements, Osceola, and one of the early settlers of Clarke County, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, near Fort Washington, May 15, 1846, a son of Thomas A. and Esther (Scott) Morrow, the father a native of Belmont County, Ohio, born September 26, 1814, and the mother born August 26, 1815, in Chester County, Pennsylvania. The father is now deceased, his death occurring July 29, 1884. The mother is still living. They had born to them four children, two sons and two daughters, all of whom are yet living. William E. Morrow was brought by his parents to Clarke County, Iowa, when he was but ten years of age, they locating in Knox Township. He was reared on a farm, his education being received in the common schools of his neighborhood, and at the graded school at Garden Grove, Iowa. After finishing his education he began his career as a teacher, following that profession both winter and summer till after his marriage when he taught only during the winter terms. He was united in marriage October 20, 1869, to Mary M. Whisler, of Clarke County, her father, Thomas L. Whisler, having come to this county in 1854 from Marion County, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Morrow have two sons – Francis E. and Robert E. After his marriage Mr. Morrow settled on a farm where he followed agricultural pursuits till 1873, when he moved to Osceola, and became associated with his father in the agricultural implement business. He disposed of his interest to his father in 1876, who carried on the business until his death. In the meantime William E. Morrow had spent a year in Colorado, but on the death of his father in 1884 he returned to Osceola, and took charge of the business in which he is still engaged. He keeps a full line of everything pertaining to his business, and has a well-established trade, his business house being located on the west side of the square. Mr. Morrow is a member of the Masonic order, and is a comrade of the Grand Army of the Republic.
SOURCE: Biographical and Historical Record of Clarke County, Iowa, Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1886 p. 264
EDITOR’S NOTE: William E. Morrow was a Private in Company H, 46th Iowa Infantry.