Thursday, July 4, 2013

Major General Ulysses S. Grant to Lieutenant General John C. Pemberton, July 4, 1863

HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE TENNESSEE,
Before Vicksburg, Miss., July 4, 1863.

Lieut. Gen. J. C. PEMBERTON,
Commanding Confederate Forces, Vicksburg, Miss.:

GENERAL: I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your communication of July 3. The amendment proposed by you cannot be acceded to in full. It will be necessary to furnish every officer and man with a parole signed by himself, which, with the completion of the rolls of prisoners, will necessarily take some time.

Again, I can make no stipulations with regard to the treatment of citizens and their private property. While I do not propose to cause them any undue annoyance or loss, I cannot consent to leave myself under any restraint by stipulations. The property which officers will be allowed to take with them will be as stated in my proposition of last evening; that is, officers will be allowed their private baggage and side-arms, and mounted officers one horse each.

If you mean by your proposition for each brigade to march to the front of the lines now occupied by it, and stack arms at 10 a.m., and then return to the inside, and there remain as prisoners until properly paroled, I will make no objection to it.

Should no notification be received of your acceptance of my terms by 9 a.m., I shall regard them as having been rejected, and shall act accordingly. Should these terms be accepted, white flags should be displayed along your lines to prevent such of my troops as may not have been notified from firing upon your men.

I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

 U.S. GRANT,
Major-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 1 (Serial No. 36),  p. 61

No comments: