Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bishop William Meade to Major General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1861

MADISON COURT HOUSE, May 6, 1861.

MY DEAR SIR:

In the midst of our troubles and dangers and my own deep grief, it is a great relief to me that in the Providence of God so important a station has been assigned to you, as I believe that by natural and acquired endowments and by the grace of God you are better qualified for the same than any other of our citizens of Virginia. May those talents be guided by God himself in the execution of the high and most trying duties which devolve upon you. My heart dictates these words, and I cannot repress the desire to utter them. I expect to be in Richmond during the next week and then hope to see you.

Most sincerely your friend,
WILLIAM MEADE
Bishop of the P. E. C. of Va.

P. S. — Richmond, Tuesday evening.

I unexpectedly find myself here this evening and shall remain until Thursday morning. If you will mention any time in which you will be disengaged or less engaged in your numerous arduous duties and cares, I will call and see you for a few moments.

Very truly,
W. MEADE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 142

No comments: