Monday, January 6, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Brigadier General G. W. Custis Lee, September 27, 1863

Camp, 27th September, 1863.

I rejoice over Bragg's victory. It is a great success and will be of great service to us every way; though from the reports in yesterday's paper it looks as if Rosecrans had made a stand at Chattanooga. I hope Bragg will be able to cross the Tennessee below him and force him out.

His cavalry ought now to break up his communications and force him out. I see Rob, Fitz, John, and Henry occasionally; the cavalry is near me now. They are all well.

No advance has yet been seriously made, though all the preparations of General Meade indicate that purpose. Generals King, Heintzelman, etc., have been brought up to Culpeper, and the pontoon trains have again been brought forward from Centerville. I am glad to hear that there is some prospect of a general exchange of prisoners. If Bragg has captured any of importance, it will facilitate matters. Good-by, my dear son. Remember me in your prayers and always keep in your heart,

Your devoted father,
R. E. LEE.
GEN. G. W. CUSTIS LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 284

No comments: