Friday, January 17, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Brigadier General G. W. Custis Lee, August 10, 1863

CAMP ORANGE, 10th August, 1863.

MY DEAR CUSTIS:

I send a draft, No. 107, of the 7th inst. of Capt. H. C. Fairfax, a q. m. on Treasurer C. S. for $1500, in my favor, made payable to your order, which I wish you would deposit to my credit in Farmers Bank of Virginia at Richmond.

Rob's trunk arrived safely yesterday, but the lieutenant had gone. It will be as difficult to get it to him now as before. We are all well. Our horses improve slowly this hot weather on short forage. We get grass and hay but little grain.

However, this latter is increasing. I send a letter to your mother. It is addressed as she directed; but I fear, as I hear nothing from her, there is no mail communication.

If there is, please mail it. The enemy seems quiet now. The heat is excessive. We never move but we lose some horses, and men fall from exhaustion. Remember me to all friends, and believe me always,
Your father,
R. E. LEE.
GEN. G. W. CUSTIS LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 288

No comments: