Sunday, January 19, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Brigadier General G. W. Custis Lee, October 1, 1863

CAMP, 1st October, 1863.
MY DEAR CUSTIS:

I have received a letter from the provost marshal at Staunton, stating that Mary and Sally Morris had been arrested in the Valley endeavoring to pass our lines. They showed a pass signed by you to go beyond the lines of the Confederate States. Having emancipated them, under the law, I consider now that I cannot treat them differently from other citizens of the C. States, though it would give me pleasure to aid them in any way in my power. Your pass is not sufficient to pass them through lines, and I do not give passes to white citizens, unless they show me authority from the Sec'y of War, or some other Cabinet officer, to leave the country. I do not think it right to do otherwise. I see by the papers that "Miss Francis Burke" has arrived in Washington, and given some pleasing revelations. I consider her a happy riddance, and that M. and S. would do us no more harm than others. What can be done for them?

Truly your father,
R. E. LEE.
GEN. G. W. CUSTIS LEE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 289

No comments: