Monday, January 27, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Jefferson Davis, December 7, 1863

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA,
RAPIDAN, December 7, 1863.

HIS EXCELLENCY JEFFERSON DAVIS,
President Confederate States, Richmond.

MR. PRESIDENT: I have had the honor to receive your dispatch inquiring whether I could go to Dalton. I can, if desired, but of the expediency of the measure you can judge better than I can. Unless it is intended that I should take permanent command, I can see no good that will result, even if in that event any could be accomplished. I also fear that I would not receive cordial co- operation, and I think it necessary if I am withdrawn from here that a commander for this army be sent to it. General Ewell's condition, I fear, is too feeble to undergo the fatigue and labor incident to the position. I hope your Excellency will not suppose that I am offering any obstacles to any measure you may think necessary. I only seek to give the opportunity to form your opinion after a full consideration of the subject. I have not that confidence either in my strength or ability that would lead me of my own opinion to undertake the command in question.

I am, with great respect, your obedient servant,

R. E. LEE,
General.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 292-3

No comments: