Monday, January 6, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Margaret & Carrie Stuart, September 11, 1863

Camp, 11th September, 1863.

Your note, my sweet daughters, has just been received. I fear the wagon will not reach you in time to make your extended ride, as the horses have gone out to graze. I have sent for them, however. Your numerous beaux, the "Stonewall band," I fear kept you up too late last night. Ask Mr. Hiden to close his doors at 10 o'clock. That is the proper time for you to retire your bright eyes from the soldiers' gaze. I hope you will have a pleasant visit this morning, and an agreeable ride this evening with the Maj. and Maj.-Gen'l. Poor Custis and Rob!

Truly your father,
R. E. LEE.
MARGARET AND CARRIE.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 284

No comments: