Saturday, January 4, 2014

General Robert E. Lee to Margaret Stuart, July 26, 1863

CAMP CULPEPER, 26th July, 1863.

I am so much obliged to you, my dear Cousin Margaret, for your kind note of the 22d. It adds to my gratitude for your former note, your welcome messages, and acceptable present of the gloves. Having had no opportunity to acknowledge them, I now thank you for all with my whole heart. I cannot tell you how often and much I have thought of you the past winter, how I have grieved over your restraint and ill usage by our enemies, and how I have regretted my inability to relieve you. Your father, mother, Ada, and Carrie have been constantly in my thoughts. I have longed to see you all. I knew that crossing the Potomac would draw them off, and if we could only have been strong enough, we should have detained them. But God willed otherwise. I fear we shall soon have them all back. The army did all it could. I fear I required of it impossibilities. But it responded to the call nobly and cheerfully, and though it did not win a victory it conquered a success. We must now prepare for harder blows and harder work. But my trust is in Him who favors the weak and relieves the oppressed, and my hourly prayer is that He will "fight for us once again." I know we shall have your earnest prayers, and I am cheered by the belief that your dear father and mother will not forget us, but that their pious supplications will be offered up in our behalf night and morning. Give much love to them. Tell Ada if she will join the Army, I will give my consent, but Carrie need not think of that other one. I shall let no one have you, Maggie, till the war is over. I have one in reserve for you. I must now bid you good-by. May God guard and protect you all, is the earnest prayer of,

Your affectionate cousin,

R. E. LEE.
MISS MARGARET STUART.

SOURCE: John William Jones, Life and Letters of Robert Edward Lee: Soldier and Man, p. 282-3

No comments: