Saturday, June 14, 2014

Brigadier-General John Buford to Major-General George G. Meade, July 1, 1863 – 10:10 a.m.

HEADQUARTERS FIRST CAVALRY DIVISION,
Gettysburg, July 1, 1863 10.10 a.m.

The enemy's force (A. P. Hill's) are advancing on me at this point, and driving my pickets and skirmishers very rapidly. There is also a large force at Heidlersburg that is driving my pickets at that point from that direction. General Reynolds is advancing, and is within 3 miles of this point with his leading division. I am positive that the whole of A. P. Hill’s force is advancing.

 JNO. BUFORD,
 Brigadier-General, Commanding.
General MEADE,
Commanding Army of the Potomac.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 36; The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 27, Part 1 (Serial No. 43), p. 924

No comments: