Saturday, July 19, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Eliza Walter Smith, August 29, 1863

Headquarters Dept. Of The Tennessee,
Vicksburg, Aug. 29, 1863.
My Dear Mother:

I wrote you yesterday and shortly after my letter was mailed, was gratified by the return of General Grant. He congratulated me warmly upon my appointment, at which he is evidently sincerely rejoiced and desired me to direct the enclosed letter to you. It is sealed, and I do not know its contents; if complimentary, I hope it may be preserved for my children in future years. General Grant is destined to wield a powerful influence upon the nation. His name will be closely linked with the history of the age. I am proud of his friendship and of the great confidence he reposes in me.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 334

No comments: