Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Brigadier General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, September 7, 1863

New Orleans, Sept. 7, 1863.

I open my letter to enclose a couple of cartes, one of General Grant, the other you will probably recognize. I will send the cartes of the residue of the staff to-morrow. They were all taken hurriedly, the weather intensely hot and the time noon, when we were all pretty tired, having had no sleep for two or three nights.  . . . Some day, when I 'm in a better humor, and get all my toggery together, I 'll have one taken in full uniform for you. The Adjutant-General of the United States lent me his coat to be taken in, and his figure being smaller than mine, makes me look pinched in the breast; it was as much as I could do to button it over.

General Grant is much improved this morning, and I think will be out soon again. Meanwhile, we are all very quiet and comfortably provided for. My diet being soft shell crabs and pompinot and nice fish that is brought me from the Gulf. General Banks calls, and all the other generals, and we are at no loss for society.

P. S. — There is a group of the General and his staff finishing while I write. Send in a few days.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 335-6

No comments: