Thursday, July 3, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Major-General John Sedgwick, July 6, 1863 – 2 a.m.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
July 6, 1863 2 a.m.
Major-General SEDGWICK,
Commanding Sixth Corps

GENERAL: After conversation with General Warren, I think under existing circumstances you had better push your reconnaissance, so as to ascertain, if practicable, how far the enemy has retreated, and also the character of the gap and practicability of carrying the same, in case I should determine to advance on that line.

You must be careful to watch your right and rear, as roads from Cashtown are open to the enemy to advance against you.

My cavalry sent to Cashtown have not reported, but I have reason to believe that the enemy is there in force. I beg you will keep me fully advised of what occurs, and I desire you will report at least every two or three hours.

Both the First and Third Corps are under your orders, and can be called to your support, if you require them.

I shall not move the army from its present position until I am better satisfied the enemy are evacuating the Cumberland Valley.

Respectfully, yours,
GEO. G. MEADE,
Major-General.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 126; The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 27, Part 3 (Serial No. 45), p. 554

No comments: