Friday, July 18, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, August 19, 1863

August 19, 1863.

Lee finds it as hard to recruit his army as I do mine. I do not hear of any reinforcements of any consequence joining him. At the same time it is very difficult to obtain any minute or reliable intelligence of his movements.

I saw to-day a note from Baldy Smith, who is at Hagerstown, commanding four hundred men and a "secesh" hospital. He says he is afraid to make any stir, for fear they should serve him as they have Franklin, who is at Baton Rouge, commanding a division under Banks. This is pretty hard for Franklin, and I feel sorry for him.

I had a visit yesterday from a Mrs. Harris, a lady belonging to the Sanitary and Christian Commissions, who has been connected with the army for a long time, and who, every one says, does a great deal of good. She talked a great deal about Philadelphia, where she belongs, and where she was going on a visit, and said every one would be inquiring about me, so that she had to come and see me.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 143-4

No comments: