Monday, August 4, 2014

Brigadier-General Thomas Kilby Smith to Elizabeth Budd Smith, December 13, 1863

Headquarters First Br1gade,
Fourth Div., Seventeenth Army Corps,
Department Of The Tennessee,
“Camp Kilby,” Miss., Dec. 13, 1863.
My Dear Wife:

My command has been ordered from Natchez and thrown to the front. I am encamped farthest to the front and close to the enemy's lines near Black River. In a future letter I will send you map upon which you can locate my position. The country is very wild and broken, and has always been sparsely inhabited. It is now wild and desolate in the extreme. I am upon a chain of bluffs cut up by the most extraordinary fissures. The subsoil has no tenacity, not sooner does the upper crust give way than the substratum dissolves like sugar, making the most hideous chasms and rents. The soil is bare and apparently barren save where the forest is undisturbed; but this is only in appearance, for here the best cotton has been grown.

SOURCE: Walter George Smith, Life and letters of Thomas Kilby Smith, p. 345

No comments: