Sunday, August 10, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, November 3, 1863

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, November 3, 1863.

There is no doubt my failure to engage Lee in battle during his recent advance created great disappointment, in which feeling I fully shared. I have seen and heard of no indications of absolute dissatisfaction, though this may have existed without its being manifested. The General in Chief did telegraph me I had better fight instead of running away, but as he did not explain how I could fight to advantage, I paid no attention to the very rough manner in which he expressed his views, except to inform him that, if my judgment was not approved, I ought to be and deserved to be relieved; to which I received no reply beyond a disclaiming of any intention to give offence. Now I have clearly indicated what I thought feasible and practicable and my plan is disapproved. I think under these circumstances justice to me and the true interests of the country justify their selecting some one else to command.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 155

No comments: