Monday, August 18, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, December 11, 1863

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, December 11, 1863.

I have not heard a word from Washington, but from what I see in the papers, and what I hear from officers returning from Washington, I take it my supersedure is decided upon, and the only question is who is to succeed me. I understand the President and Secretary Chase are very anxious to bring Hooker back; but Halleck and Stanton will undoubtedly oppose this. A compromise may perhaps be made by bringing Thomas1 here, and giving Hooker Thomas's army.

I have very kind letters from Gibbon and Hancock, both hoping I will not be relieved, and each saying they had not lost a particle of confidence in me. Many officers in the army have expressed the same feeling, and I really believe the voice of the army will sustain me. This, though, goes for nothing in Washington. I will not go to Washington to be snubbed by these people; they may relieve me, but I will preserve my dignity.
_______________

1 Major-General George H. Thomas, commanding the Army of the Cumberland.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 160-1

No comments: