Thursday, August 21, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, December 18, 1863

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, December 18, 1863.

To-day Captain Chauncey handed me your letter of the 13th inst.

As to politics and politicians, as I never have had anything to do with them, and have personal friends in all parties, I don't see why I am to fear them now. I think I can keep them in their proper places. Already the Tribune has charged that the gentleman in New Jersey, my correspondent, is George B. McClellan, and asks why this is not openly avowed. I have no political aspirations. I have the ambition to prove myself a good soldier, and intend to try to afford evidences of this to the last. Major Jim Biddle has gone on leave; so you will hear all the latest news from the camp.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 162

No comments: