Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, October 12, 1863

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac, October 12, 1863.

On Saturday I found Lee was turning my right flank and assuming an offensive position. As to have remained where I was would have endangered my communications, I yesterday fell back to the Rappahannock. As I do not hear to-day anything of his movement on my right being continued, I have sent a force back towards Culpeper, to see whether he will give me battle at any point between the two rivers. If he will, I shall fight him at all hazards. At the present moment there is firing heard, but I have not received any report.

I have most earnestly, by special telegram, recommended Gibbon for promotion. Indeed, himself and Buford are the only two that I have urged in this special manner on the attention of the department. The difficulty is that there are no vacancies in the grade of major general, and several appointments have been made in excess of the number authorized by law.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 153

No comments: