Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, October 17, 1863

Headquarters Army Of The Potomac,
Centreville, October 17, 1863.

Lee made a desperate effort to get in my rear, but I succeeded in out-manoeuvring him, and got into position at this place, Centreville, with my back to Washington, and ready for his attack if he had chosen to make it.1 This is the third day we have been here and he has not come forward; I am trying to find out where he now is. If he is near me I shall attack him, but I fear that, failing in his manoeuvre, he is either going back, or going up into the Valley of the Shenandoah, where I shall have to follow him.
­­­_______________

1 Bristoe, Va., campaign.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 153-4

No comments: