Friday, August 8, 2014

Major-General George G. Meade to Margaretta Sergeant Mead, October 23, 1863

Warrenton, October 23, 1863.

Yesterday I received an order to repair to Washington, to see the President. I arrived in Washington at 2 P. M., and expected to leave at 6 P. M., but was detained so late that I remained there all night, and left this morning, early. The President was, as he always is, very considerate and kind. He found no fault with my operations, although it was very evident he was disappointed that I had not got a battle out of Lee. He coincided with me that there was not much to be gained by any farther advance; but General Halleck was very urgent that something should be done, but what that something was he did not define. As the Secretary of War was absent in Tennessee, final action was postponed till his return.

SOURCE: George Meade, The Life and Letters of George Gordon Meade, Vol. 2, p. 154

No comments: