Monday, September 1, 2014

Senator James Shields to Senator George W. Jones, November 19, 1858

Washington, November 19, 1858.
My dear Friend:—

I have no very distinct recollection of the minute circumstances attending your amendment to the Illinois Land Grant Bill extending the Railroad line from Galena to Dubuque, but I know you made that amendment with my consent and take it for granted with the consent of Judge Douglas also. I do not remember a single objection made to your amendment in the Senate by any one at the time it was offered, or at any other time. I have no recollection of any consultation between my colleagues and myself in reference to that amendment and never entertained a doubt but the bill would receive the hearty support of your colleague, General Dodge, and yourself, whether the amendment was adopted or rejected; certainly neither of you ever intimated to me any intention to oppose our bill under any circumstances. On the contrary, I regarded you both as our best friends. I hope this reply will suffice to cover all your inquiries and therefore hasten to send it to you.

Yours sincerely,
Jas. Shields.
Honorable George W. Jones
Dubuque, Iowa.

SOURCE: John Carl Parish, George Wallace Jones, p. 203-4

No comments: