Sunday, October 26, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Elizabeth Nealley Grimes, November 24, 1863

Portland, November 24, 1863.

I reached Mr. Fessenden's without accident, and am now at his house. I wanted to leave to-day for Boston, but he has restrained me, and I shall not go until to-morrow. I shall be in Boston until Friday, when Mr. Fessenden is to meet me, and we shall go to Washington together. I judge Portland to be one of the very pleasantest cities in the United States. Fessenden has a grand old place; house and everything in it appearing to be not less than fifty years old and upward. He expressed his regret that you were not with me. All of his family, including sons, brothers-in-law, etc., seemed to be pleased to see me, and all inquired kindly for you, as though they knew you. In Fessenden's chamber I found four framed pictures, his wife, Samuel, who is also dead, my wife, and my wife's husband.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 239-40

No comments: