Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Major-General Thomas J. Jackson to Margaret Junkin Preston

Bunker Hill, Berkeley Co., Va.
[Undated. After October 3, 1862]

My Dear Maggie, — In haste I drop you a line in answer to your letter of October 3d. I regret not having a position to which with propriety Mr. E. can be assigned. The best opening that I see for him is to secure an appointment as an ordnance officer. There are to be seventy appointed, after being examined by a Board upon their qualifications. Mr. E.'s brother is among the number. It appears to me that he ought to pass upon examination, by giving attention to the subject. I am much obliged to you for your kindness.

I deeply sympathize with you all in the death of dear Willy. He was in my first Sabbath school class, where I became attached to him when he was a little boy. I had expected to have him as one of my aides-de-camp, but God in His providence has ordered otherwise. Remember me very kindly to Colonel Preston and all the family.

Affectionately your brother,
T. J. Jackson.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Preston Allan, The Life and Letters of Margaret Junkin Preston, p. 152

No comments: