Monday, August 10, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, September 3, 1863

Warrenton, September 3, 1863.
My dear sister:

I received yours of the 30th ultimo last night. I am sorry to find that your finances are so low, almost in as bad a condition as the Confeds’. You must economize and put out more paper, and then repudiate; but if you cannot carry out the transaction in that way, I will send you some of my paper. Let me know. I have sent my sword, etc., to a friend in Washington for a few days, in order to have some photographs taken of it. After that is done I will send it home; let me know if it can be expressed to West Cornwall. Everything was in the very best taste, and as rich as could be made. General Meade had a sword presented him the next day, but nothing to compare with mine. It was made the occasion of a great political meeting, and most of the people came away highly disgusted. There was nothing of this sort here to mar the harmony; every one went to please himself, and generally accomplished it. I have always opposed show of any sort.

There is no military news; both sides seem to be waiting for reinforcements. Ours come in very slowly; I doubt whether we have as many as when we arrived here, but those that have gone to New York will soon be available. The weather is delightful, and the fall is wearing away. I shall try and make you a visit sometime after the campaign is over.

With love to all,
Yours,
J. s.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 156-7

No comments: