Saturday, August 15, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, October 17, 1863

Near Bull Run, October 17, 1863.
My dear sister:

I have just received your letter of the 13th instant. I have not written for the last few days, owing to events over which I had no control. You must be aware that in the last few days we have made a retrograde movement; whether there was a necessity for it I have no means of judging. We have had no fighting that deserves the name. What there has been has been decidedly in our favour. General Meade has always been ready to give the enemy battle, but with such a long time to bring up his supplies, he was always anxious for his line of retreat. I presume we shall move forward again and offer battle.

I am very glad to hear that you had such a pleasant visit with our Massachusetts cousins; when you write, give them my best love, especially Cousin Catherine. I am sorry you did not see her, as she seems so fond of you and kind to every one. Captain Halsted went off quite sick the day the movement commenced, and has not been heard from. I rely upon him for writing all my descriptive letters. He is very fond of it and happy at that style; I am not. The weather continues delightful, and were it not for that favour we should have suffered severely.

I will write again as soon as we are settled, but my fear is that this is the last of the “Army of the Potomac,” and that I may have to go South.

Yours affectionately,
J. s.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 160-1

No comments: