Monday, August 17, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to his Sister, November 16, 1863

Near Culpeper, November 16, 1863.
My dear sister:

I received yours of the 9th instant, written from Boston, but waited before answering till you reached home. I have presumed that if you left Boston on Thursday or Friday you would remain in Hartford over Sunday, and probably reach home to-day. Captain Halsted has returned quite well; he went no farther than New York.

I received a letter some days ago from a lady asking a favour for her grandson, very long and beautifully written, closing with: “May God preserve you from all dangers in the battle-field and in the camp, and especially from commanding the Army of the Potomac.” There is no danger. I know my name has been mentioned, and I think I could have had it if I had said the word, but nothing could induce me to take it. Meade is twenty years older than when he took command. With much love,

I remain, as ever,
Your affectionate brother,
J. s.

SOURCE: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 161-2

No comments: