Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Major-General John Sedgwick to Brigadier-General Seth Williams, March 10, 1864

HEADQUARTERS SIXTH CORPS,
March 10, 1864.
Brig. Gen. S. Williams,
Assistant Adjutant-General,
Army of the Potomac.

GENERAL: My attention has been called to several articles which have recently appeared in the papers, insinuating or charging the General commanding the Army of the Potomac with ordering or favoring a retreat of the army on the evening of July 2, at Gettysburg.

I took no minutes of the council of corps commanders held on the evening of that day, but my present recollection is that three questions, viz, of attacking the enemy, of sustaining an attack, or taking up a new position, were submitted. The council was unanimous – with, I think, one exception – to sustain the attack in our then present position.

At no time in my presence did the general commanding insist or advise a withdrawal of the army, for such advice would have great weight with me, and I know the matter did not engage my serious attention.

I am positive that the general commanding could not have insisted, much less have given the order, to withdraw the army from its position. In a council on the evening of the 3d, the two questions of following the enemy or moving on parallel lines were submitted, and I think the council were unanimous, and their decision adopted by the general, of moving parallel to the enemy, and attacking him when possible.

I am, very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,

JOHN SEDGWICK,
Major-General, Commanding.

SOURCES: George William Curtis, Correspondence of John Sedgwick, Major-General, Volume 2, p. 176-7; The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 27, Part 1 (Serial No. 43), p. 125

No comments: