Monday, October 19, 2015

Diary of Judith Brockenbrough McGuire: September 28, 1863

Mrs. M. and myself went to St. John's Church yesterday, and heard an excellent sermon from Bishop Wilmer; service read by Dr. Norwood. Encouraging news continues from the West. I am still anxious about our home. Mr. ––– is sick, and the prospect of getting a house diminishing. Perhaps I should take comfort from the fact that a great many persons are homeless as well as ourselves. If Mr. ––– were well, I should not feel so hopeless. The girls, too, are visiting the country, expecting us to get an impossible home, and I do dislike to disappoint them. Oh, that we could be perfectly satisfied, knowing that we are in the Lord's hands!

SOURCE: Judith W. McGuire, Diary of a Southern Refugee, During the War, p. 239-40

No comments: