Saturday, April 30, 2016

Diary of Sarah Morgan: Thursday Night, December 31, 1863

The last of eighteen sixty-three is passing away as I write. . . . Every New Year since I was in my teens, I have sought a quiet spot where I could whisper to myself Tennyson's “Death of the Old Year,” and even this bitter cold night I steal into my freezing, fireless little room, en robe de nuit, to keep up my old habit while the others sleep. . . .

“Old year, you shall not die;
We did so laugh and cry with you,
I've half a mind to die with you,
Old year, if you must die.”

No! Go and welcome! Bring Peace and brighter days, O dawning New Year. Die, faster and faster, Old One; I count your remaining moments with almost savage glee.

SOURCE: Sarah Morgan Dawson, A Confederate Girl's Diary, p. 424

No comments: