Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Captain Gustavus V. Fox to Montgomery Blair, March 1, 1861

NEW YORK, March 1, 1861.
DEAR BLAIR:

I just met Russell Sturgis, who has charge of most of the tow-boats in the harbor, and he informs me that the Charleston authorities have opened negotiations here for the purchase of two tugs, and that the two proposed are two of the three I had selected, being the only three really fit for the work in the whole city. I thought it best to give you this information at once, as the probability of re-enforcing Fort Sumter except by landing and capturing their forts will be lessened with such fine boats as I have described in their possession. Captain Sturgis has put these boats in order, notwithstanding my plan has the go-by, for we all feel that a severe discussion must bring it up again.

I met a Navy officer to-day who has just received a letter from Hartstene. He is captain in the S.C. Navy with the same pay as a U. S. captain, and has charge of the coast defenses. He thinks he has prevented an attack upon Sumter so far, but says it will soon be done, and will be a very sanguinary affair. Paul Hamilton, esq., commands the floating battery now launched. They have four tugs, which do not amount to much compared to one of these powerful New York ones.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *

I wrote you last Sunday in full. Write me as soon as anything definite is done.

Yours,
 G. V. FOX.

Direct your letters care of A. H. Lowery, 77 Nassau street, and I get them in the morning, otherwise not until p.m. I trust you and the General will give me a hand in this business. He seems most favorably disposed towards me.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 1 (Serial No. 1), p. 205

No comments: