Thursday, September 29, 2016

Diary of Corporal Charles H. Lynch: April 5, 1865

Orders received this morning to fall in without arms for a march into town and report at headquarters. Surprised to hear that we were to receive four months pay. It was overdue. No one left in camp but the camp guard. We were allowed more liberty than ever before. We remained in town all day. I was the only corporal in town with the company. Many of the boys are on the sick list. I was ordered to receive the pay for those of our company in the hospital, visit the hospital and give the boys their money. All were thankful to get the money and pleased to see me and were made happy over the good news I brought to them about General Grant's success in routing the enemy. Returned to camp late tonight. I felt that I had put in a very busy day. Weather damp, cool, and very cloudy.

SOURCE: Charles H. Lynch, The Civil War Diary, 1862-1865, of Charles H. Lynch 18th Conn. Vol's, p. 146-7

No comments: