Monday, October 3, 2016

Diary of Corporal Charles H. Lynch: May 5, 1865

Detailed for guard duty in town. Placed in charge of a rebel Major, who made claim of being on General Early's staff. I was informed that he was placed under arrest because he had broken his parole. Appeared on the streets of his home town, Shepardstown, Virginia, in full uniform, making a show of himself, and insulting loyal people, for which he was waiting to be tried by a court-martial. He was confined in a room in the basement of an old church. I had three men on duty with me, making three reliefs. Guarding him was a tiresome job. When night came he told me not to sit up all night, he would not attempt to get away. I made up my mind that he would not get a chance, as I would not take any chances with a rebel. I did my duty. Sat up all night and changed my reliefs every two hours. While he was agreeable to me I formed an opinion of him. Thought him rather mean, but I used him well.

SOURCE: Charles H. Lynch, The Civil War Diary, 1862-1865, of Charles H. Lynch 18th Conn. Vol's, p. 151-2

No comments: