Monday, December 26, 2016

Diary of Luman Harris Tenney: Tuesday, October 21, 1862

Spurgeon went out with forage detail. Bill Smith lost $15. Circumstances as follows: Capt. had given him some money to pay the boys. We lay on the blankets conversing when Sheldon came up, and Bill pulled out his money and paid him. He had showed me the money a little while before. All three lay down, Bill and I side by side and S. a little farther down. All at once Sheldon attracted mine and B.'s attention to a holster, asking if I had lost my revolver. After we had examined, I left. In five or ten minutes Nick called us to dinner. We ate and I went a few rods into the woods, leaving B. by his horse. When I came back B. had lost his money. We looked all about. Soon he told me he suspicioned Sheldon. I tried to find him. Finally found him playing poker, 2 or 3 P. M. Stolen at noon.

SOURCE: Frances Andrews Tenney, War Diary Of Luman Harris Tenney, p. 38

No comments: