Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Brigadier-General William F. Bartlett to Edwin M. Stanton, August 19, 1865

[Draft.]
August 19, 1865.

Dear Sir, — I cannot express to you my appreciation of and thanks for your very kind note of the 12th, in which you so graciously grant my request for leave of absence. I cannot forget your kindness in this matter, and shall try not to forfeit your favorable consideration.

You addressed me as Brevet Major-general, and I have been informed that such a brevet had been recommended, and that Mr. S. had written to you concerning its confirmation, but I have not received any official notice of it, and the leave is made out for Brigadier-general. In the matter of pay, you have said all that I could expect, and I am content to leave the question suspended, and await the decision that circumstances may dictate, judging that it is not doubtful up to the time when I should otherwise have been mustered out.

I have just received the leave from the Adjutant-general's office.

Yours, etc.

[brigadier-general Willaim F. Bartlett.]

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 154-5

No comments: