Thursday, March 16, 2017

Brigadier-General William F. Bartlett to Colonel Francis W. Palfrey, November 8, 1865

4 Westbourne Square, Hyde Park, West.
London, November 8, 1865.

There you have it in full, our present location. The Pomeroys have taken a house, very nice one, comfortably furnished and served, in Oxford Terrace, a short ride from here; but Agnes’ cousin insisted on having us two with him. He lives in very good style in this, one of the best localities. We are of course much more comfortable here than we should be at hotel or lodgings, and are hardly able to realize that we are in a foreign land, for thus far we have been, both here and at Rock Park (Liverpool), so much at home. We stayed nearly a week at Rock Park, getting our land legs on again.

We had a very rough passage. was quite sick the first day or two, much to my disgust and surprise. But Gus. Perkins, who was with us, consoled me by telling me of his brother-in-law, who made fifteen passages without being in the least sick, and the sixteenth suffered dreadfully the whole voyage. Which, though it quieted my feelings, did not affect my stomach. The rest of the party were sick for the first few days. We had not one smooth day. It is perfectly impossible for me to write anything satisfactory just now, as several people are talking to me. I have been about London a little, doing a little general sight-seeing, trying to get the “lay of the land,” etc.


Dear Colonel Palfrey, — I can't resist just adding my mite to Frank's letter. I shall report to you all the honor done to one we both love so well. He is a wonder to everybody, walking so well, and so young a general. The ship-board people thought the story of his having but one leg a Canterbury, and I did not wonder, for he managed remarkably. I am very proud of him. Do you think it unpardonable? I am sure not. We are enjoying every moment. I think it would be hard to find two happier people than Frank and myself anywhere in Christendom. I am hoping he will see some of the troops next week. General Weatherall of the Horse-guards will be back then, and he is a great friend of ours. We are going down to my cousin's hunting-box on Friday. There is to be a “Meet” on Saturday. Frank will ride, though he will not follow the hounds. I expect we' shall enjoy the novelty of the sight very much. But I must not steal Frank's thunder, and I shall just say good-by now, only adding much love for your dear wife and my cordial remembrances to all your family. I don't know what Frank will say to this intrusion, but I could not help it.

Very truly yours,
Agnes Bartlett.

SOURCE: Francis Winthrop Palfrey, Memoir of William Francis Bartlett, p. 159-60

No comments: