Friday, May 12, 2017

John Brown to John Brown Jr., February 20, 1858

Peterboro’, N. Y., Feb. 20, 1858.

Dear Son John, — I am here with our good friends Gerrit Smith and wife, who, I am most happy to tell you, are ready to go in for a share in the whole trade. I will say (in the language of another), in regard to this most encouraging fact, “My soul doth magnify the Lord.” I seem to be almost marvellously helped; and to His name be praise! I had to-day no particular thing to write, other than to let you share in my encouragement. I have been looking for a letter from you to be forwarded from Rochester; and may get one to-day. When I get one, will write you further. I do not expect to remain here long, but shall he glad to have you write me here, enclosing to Caleb Calkins,1 Esq., Peterboro’, Madison County, N. Y. Jason and family well on the 8th.

Your affectionate father,
John Brown.
_______________

1 This was the faithful clerk of Gerrit Smith, to whose hands most of his large pecuniary affairs were intrusted, and whose business it was in such matters as this to “hear and see, and say nothing.” Morton, at that time the tutor of Mr. Smith's son, was born in Plymouth, Mass., of the Pilgrim stock.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 437-8

No comments: