Thursday, June 29, 2017

Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes to Sophia Birchard Hayes: November 24, 1862

Cincinnati, November 24, 1862.

Dear Mother: — I took passage on a steamboat and left for my regiment at Gauley Bridge on Saturday, but after going a few miles, we got cast on a bar, and can't get off until a rise of water. Luckily, I was in reach of the street railroad cars, and so came home to await the coming rise. It is expected tonight. I am sorry not to visit Columbus again, but we had a good visit with you, and we should not feel more reconciled to a separation if I were to stay a month. You will be glad to learn from Uncle that I am likely to stay in winter quarters where my arm can be cared for as well as if I were at home. You will direct letters to me at “Gauley Bridge, Virginia, via Gallipolis.”

The children were to see us yesterday and seemed very happy. They would like to go home before Christmas, but will not mourn much, as they suppose they are sure to be relieved then. We had an excellent visit from Uncle. I hope he enjoyed it as much as we did. Good-bye. Love to Ruddy.

Affectionately,
R. B. Hayes.
Mrs. Sophia Hayes.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 2, p. 364

No comments: