Friday, July 14, 2017

John Brown to his Children, December 2, 1858

Osawatomie, Kansas, Dec. 2, 1858.

Dear Children, — I have a moment to write you, and I hasten to improve it. My health is some improved since I wrote you last, but still I get a shake now and then. Other friends are middling well, I believe. In some of the border counties south, there is the worst feeling at this time, which affords but little prospect of quiet. Other portions of the Territory are comparatively undisturbed. The winter may be supposed to have fairly set in, which may compel parties to defer hostilities at least. I want you to write my family to inquire particularly whether they are so circumstanced as to be able to get through the winter without suffering, so that I may hear from them when I know where to have you direct to me. I have but this moment returned from the south, and expect to go back at once.

Your affectionate friend.

P. S. Am still preparing for my other journey.
Yours.

P. S. I want you, some of you, for the present, to write John, saying all about the condition of your different families, and whether you are suffering for anything, or are likely to be, and for what, that I may get the information by-and-by, through him, when there is any chance. You may depend on my doing all in my power to make you comfortable. To God and his infinite grace I commend you all.

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 480-1

No comments: