Wednesday, July 12, 2017

John Brown to his Family, November 1, 1858

Moneka, Kansas, Nov. 1, 1858.

Dear Wife And Children, All, — I have just written to John H. Painter, of Springdale, Cedar County, Iowa, to send you a New York draft, payable to Oliver. I have strong hopes of your getting one to the amount of his note. At any rate, it is all the means I now have of giving you a little further help. Should you get it, you need not send him the note, as my letter is good against the note. I would be glad to have you pay the taxes, if you can so manage as to do it and be comfortable. I shall do all I can to help you, and as fast as I can. How soon I shall be able to see you again, I cannot tell, but I still live in hopes. I cannot now tell you how to direct to me, but will advise you further as soon as I can. Things at this moment look quite threatening along the line. I am much better in health than I was when I wrote last, but not very strong yet. May God bless you all!

Your affectionate husband and father.
 [JOHN BROWN.]

SOURCE: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 479

No comments: