Friday, April 20, 2018

Colonel Ethan Allen to Isaac N. Phelps, January 27, 1863

New-York, Jan. 27th, 1863.
Mr. I. N. Phelps

Dear Sir: I am not only willing, but anxious to secure the services of Capt. W. T. Lusk of the 79th Regiment, as Lt.-Col. of the Regiment I am now organizing in this city. It not being my design to lead the Regt. when raised, I appoint Capt. Lusk with the view of his ultimately commanding the Regiment which I think bids fair to be completed at no very distant day. If Capt. Lusk can be relieved from his present duties in the army, and be permitted to fill the position in which it is my desire to place him, I am sure the change will be of service both to himself and to the country.

Your obedient servant,
Ethan Allen,
Colonel Blair Light Infantry, 3d Regt.,           
Merchants Brigade.

SOURCE: William Chittenden Lusk, Editor, War Letters of William Thompson Lusk, p. 276

No comments: