Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Conversation between John Brown and John Avis, his Jailer: about October 22, 1859

Jailer. I see in the papers that yon told Governor Wise you had promises of aid from Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolina. Is that true, or did you make it up to “rile’' the old Governor?

Brown. No; I did not tell Wise that.

Jailer. What did you tell him that could have made that impression on his mind?

Brown. Wise said something about fanaticism, and intimated that no man in full possession of his senses could have expected to overcome a State with such a handful of men as I had, backed only by struggling negroes: and I replied that I bad promises of ample assistance, and would have received it too if I could only have put the ball in motion. He then asked suddenly and in a harsh voice, as you've seen lawyers snap up a witness: “Assistance! from what State, sir?” I was not thrown off my guard, and replied: “From more than you'd believe if I should name them all; but I expected more from Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas than from any others.

Jailer. You “expected” You did not say it was promised from the States named?

Brown. No; I knew, of course, that the negroes would rally to my standard. If I had only got the thing fairly started, you Virginians would have seen sights that would have opened your eyes; and I tell you if I was free this moment, and had five hundred negroes around me, I would put these irons on Wise himself before Saturday night.

Jailer. Then it was true about aid being promised? What States promised it?

Brown (with a laugh). Well, you are about as smart a man as Wise, and I’ll give you the same answer I gave him.

SOURCES: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 571-2 & 622 where John Avis was named as Brown’s jailer.

No comments: