Monday, May 21, 2018

Lieutenant-Colonel William T. Lusk to Elizabeth Adams Lusk, June 19, 1863

Coleman's Eutaw House,
Baltimore, June 19th, 1863.
My dear Mother:

Here I am in Baltimore in safety, neither able to go forward, nor willing to turn back. As yet, all communication with Harper's Ferry is cut off, but the position Hooker now occupies is such as will enable him soon to include the Ferry within his lines, so I am stopping quietly at the Eutaw House, but almost momentarily expecting to hear from Col. Piatt that the cars will once more be in running order. Probably this will be before the day is over, and I trust I may be able to be of some use. Don't be alarmed though, I am not going to attempt anything Quixotic, so, if the opportunity does not soon come I shall return, and proceed to Simsbury.

I have nothing special to say, beyond wishing to set your mind at rest. The 7th Regiment arrived here yesterday, and makes a fine appearance. Will soon write a more interesting letter, to be dated either from Maryland Heights or Simsbury.

Good-bye. Love to all.
Very afFec'y.,
W. T. Lusk.

SOURCE: William Chittenden Lusk, Editor, War Letters of William Thompson Lusk, p. 282

No comments: