Tuesday, June 12, 2018

George L. Stearns to Samuel Gridley Howe, February 27, 1860

[Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, February 27, 1860]
[Dr. S. G. Howe.]

I am so far on my return from Washington, where I had a good time. The Com. were civil and did not press me at all. I answered freely and they took all I said in good faith.

On reading my testimony, which took an hour and a half, I did not want to change a word, but made some additions; such as, “I have since changed my opinion,” etc. I was before them three hours, from eleven until two.

I saw a good deal of Sumner; he made me free of his room at all hours and was of great use to me. He is preparing a speech and will do justice to this affair, including the Senate Com. He said: I feel now perfectly easy with regard to slavery: it has received its death blow. This is not a quotation, but the spirit of his remarks.

Saw Adams, Burlingame, Wilson; nothing said worth reporting.

Washington, as it is to-day, is the meanest hole in creation, and Congress the meanest part of Washington. The members of both parties are split up into petty cliques, each intent on grinding its own little axe and trying to prevent all the others from using the grindstone. If they are our representatives, we are indeed of a low type.

Ever yours,
George L. Stearns.

SOURCE: Preston Stearns, The Life and Public Services of George Luther Stearns, p. 213

No comments: