Thursday, August 16, 2018

John Brown to Thomas B. Musgrave,* November 17, 1859

Charlestown, Jefferson County, Va., Nov. 17, 1859.
T. B. Musgrave, Esq.

My Dear Young Friend, — I have just received your most kind and welcome letter of the 15th inst., but did not get any other from you. I am under many obligations to you and to your father for all the kindnesses you have shown me, especially since my disaster. May God and your own consciousness ever be your rewarders. Tell your father that 1 am quite cheerful; that I do not feel myself in the least degraded by my imprisonment, my chains, or the near prospect of the gallows. Men cannot imprison, or chain, or hang the soul. I go joyfully in behalf of millions that “have no rights” that this great and glorious, this Christian Republic “is bound to respect.” Strange change in morals, political as well as Christian, since 1776! I look forward to other changes to take place in God's good time, fully believing that “the fashion of this world passeth away.” I am unable now to tell you where my friend is, that you inquire after. Perhaps my wife, who I suppose is still with Mrs. Spring, may have some information of him. I think it quite uncertain, however.

Farewell. May God abundantly bless you all!

Your friend,
John Brown.
_______________

* The father of this gentleman was Mr. Musgrave, the English manufacturer at Northampton, mentioned in Chapter III.

SOURCES: Franklin B. Sanborn, The Life and Letters of John Brown, p. 593

No comments: